Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tutorial of the Month - November

Hey guys! So last month, I cut off all my hair. I wasn't planning for it to be as short as it is, (diy gone wrong...whoops!). I don't know if you'll want to take hair cutting advice from me because of that mistake, but in case you do, here's a tutorial that I use to guide me when I cut my hair.


What she does:
  1. Get hair wet
  2. Separate into three sections horizontally
  3. Cut each layer mimicking a razor
  4. Touch up using an actual shaving type razor
What I do:
  1.  Dry or wet...depends on my mood
  2.  Separate into three sections horizontally
  3. Cut straight across
  4. Layer--cutting mimicking a razor OR with the scissors facing up
  5. Not use the same tool on my armpits and my head
Like JayJay, I have had many bad experiences with hair ladies. So I started cutting my hair a few years ago. Plus I'm cheap and I like to be in control. But I was so tired of going to cheap hair ladies because I don't have money, and having them do a horrible job. I have such painful memories from my childhood of coming home from the hair lady's and having hair that was too short, layered weirdly, weird color that immediately washes out...etc. But mostly the complaint was that it was too short, which is ironic because I accidentally chopped off my hair last time.

Anyways,
The reason I always go back to this tutorial is because it shows you how to cut layers without making them look so choppy or not noticable. I think it's a good place to start when you're trying to give yourself layers for the first time.
Having said that, I don't follow these instructions to a tee. I have before, but when you do something over time, you start to realize what works for you and what doesn't. For example, I find that sliding your scissors down the length of your hair helps the edges look more gradual, as opposed to how it looks when you just cut it straight across. (I think the pros use razors or thinning shears for that?) However, I don't slide the razor I use to shave my legs with down my hair. This causes little tiny hairs to be shorter than they should be, and those short hairs don't get cut when you get a haircut because they're up by your eyeballs. This promotes breakage and split ends, and can make your hair appear (or actually be) thinner. And that is something I spend my days trying to avoid.
That's just my opinion about that. It's kinda like getting your ears pierced at the mall. It won't kill you and could be perfectly fine, but it just seems wrong and I would never do it. Make sense?

Tips:
If you cut your hair while it's wet, it might dry shorter than you thought. Especially if you have curly hair.
Do not cut your hair when you're angry or upset. Or drunk. Just like driving, you might do something you regret.
Don't try to take a lot off at once. You can always cut more, but you can never un-cut.

I hope this was helful to some of you. I know it was beyond helpful to me. Congrats JayJayTutorials for being November's TOTM, and happy cutting, friends!

~V

P.S. I'm sorry for neglecting the blog lately. I've been super busy, and trust me, you wouldn't want to see what I've been wearing this past few days anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I AM A NEW FASHION BLOGGER FROM INDONESIA, LIVING IN SINGAPORE.
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG,AND YOU AS WELL ! ! I AM NOW FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG,YOU CAN CHECK IT!! IT WOULD BE AN HONOR IF YOU FOLLOW MY BLOG BACK:

    seekthesleek.blogspot.com
    if you follow my blog:
    - I WILL BE ACTIVE ON COMMENTING YOUR POSTS
    - I WILL RECOMMEND YOUR POSTS TO GOOGLE
    - I WILL SHARE YOUR POSTS TO MY TWITTER : @TIODANG
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, SO I CAN MENTION YOU IF I SHARE YOUR POST TO MY TWITTER,
    AND FEEL FREE TO MENTION ME IF YOU WANT ME TO READ YOUR LATEST POST & LEAVE A COMMENT.
    LIST ME ON TWITTER , SO I WILL KNOW U'RE MY FOLLOWER
    -YOU CAN ADD ME ON FACEBOOK IF U WANT, I WILL ALWAYS CONFIRM MY FOLLOWERS

    (PLEASE TELL ME IF IT SAYS THAT I HAVENT FOLLOW YOUR BLOG, SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MY BLOG RECENTLY, BUT IF IT'S FIXED, I WILL FOLLOW U AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And no your following doesn't show up. I will check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS FOR FOLLOWING SEEK THE SLEEK! I'VE SHARED THIS POST TO MY TWITTER: @tiodang + RECOMMEND THIS POST TO GOOGLE , HOPE U WILL DO THE SAME TO MY POST.
    IT'S TRULY AN HONOR HAVING YOU AS MY BLOG MEMBER.
    i will keep in touch with your blog! as long as you leave a comment and share my posts too :D THANKS!
    let me know your twitter acc, so everytime i share your post to my twitter, i can mention you.
    feel free to mention me on twitter if u want me to check out your new post & comment it! + list me on twitter, so i know u're my follower. if you want me to promote your blog on my blog,
    CONTACT ME: CHEERINGWINDA@YAHOO.COM
    *YOU CAN ADD ME ON FACEBOOK, I WILL ALWAYS CONFIRM MY FOLLOWERS :D
    LONG AS YOU KEEP IN TOUCH WITH MY BLOG TOO!!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're so brave. I'd never dare to cut my own hair!

    A "Thing To Wear"

    ReplyDelete