Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tutorial of the Month - August

Hey guys! I want to apologize for not posting that much so far this month. I really have no excuses...except that I really don't go anywhere so I have no outfits to talk about, and I lost my camera charger so I can't take pictures. Whoops!
Also, I got tired of waiting for the 22nd (when I did the July TOTM) to roll around to do this, so I decided to do it early and hopefully I can eventually stick to a certain day every month to put these out.



 It never occurred to me that some people don't know the first thing about doing their hair, but really, some people don't even know how to do a regular three-strand braid. I realized this when I went to my junior prom. One of the girls in the group that I went with (dateless...whoop whoop!) had to go to a hair lady just to curl their hair. Really, girl? Really? Do you live under a rock?
Well if you do live under a rock and can't even curl your own hair, you probably can't do a fishtail, dutch, five-strand, or rope braid, either. This tutorial is for all of you.
Having said that, I think everyone can learn something from this. Although some of the techniques should be pretty basic, this tutorial covers a lot of area and some aspects are more advanced.
I am so impressed that Kaylie (Kaylee? Kahlie? Cailey?) has such extended knowledge of all things hair related. If you watch her other videos (link to her channel below), it's apparent that she has skills. My favorite thing about her styles is that they are so creative and unique. This girl can do anything with a braid. I like that most of her styles involve braiding, and they are very bohemian and different from what you would normally see people wearing.
As you can tell in this video, she really knows what she's doing, and I like that she displays it in a way that is easy to understand. She even breaks it up into steps, which makes it very easy to follow along if you are not used to the technique yet. Some tutorials can make simple styles look overly complicated, but Kaylie's are well explained and look very clean. The video editing is so clear and there's no useless talking--it's all very to-the-point, which ideal for a tutorial style video. I also love that she uses the same green background in all of her videos, which provides consistency and appears more professional. I also like the music in the background, because it makes the video less awkward as if it were just her talking, and makes it flow a lot better.
As a personal preference, I love watching Kaylie's videos because her hair appears to be straight, thick, and fine (which is similar to my hair type), and I know that I can relate to her hair-wise. I know that the styles she creates are do-able for me, which is kind of hard to find because a lot of YouTube gurus have thick & course (as opposed to thick & fine), or asian/ethnic hair. However, Kaylie also has a few videos on how to style short hair, which I love because people with short hair shouldn't be limited in the amount of styles they can do.
The only complaint I have about this video is the humor. C'mon, Kaylie, take off your "professor glasses" and stop trying so hard!

Tips:
Usually, braided hairstyles don't stay as well if your hair is fine (or "slippery"), so wait a day after washing or put some products in your hair before you start to braid. This is especially true if you have layers, which can start to come loose from the style if your hair doesn't have natural texture.
I don't really have any other tips, because lots of tips for braiding are given in the video. Nice job, Kaylie! :)

Thank you so much, LetsMakeItUp1 for making easy to follow, unique tutorials such as the Braid Encyclopedia. Congratulations on being the August Tutorial of the Month!

Kaylie's channel:

I hope this was helpful!

~V

No comments:

Post a Comment